Let me know if you’ve ever experienced this feeling …
You look at your child, or a group of children, and you wonder what kind of person they will grow up to become. Will they be kind? Will they be compassionate? Will they become benevolent leaders, movers and shakers, good-hearted citizens of the world?
You know you can’t control their outcome, but as teachers and parents, we have an opportunity today to maybe, just maybe, influence – or dare I say, safeguard – a bit of our child’s future.
How? By teaching our children character education and social-emotional learning (SEL) skills from a young age so that topics like gratitude, perseverance, and respect become not just something they hear about, but a part of who they are.
It’s often difficult for us to know what to teach and how to teach it. These topics are big and complex … how do we turn them into child-sized, child-friendly lessons our kids actually want to learn?
This is the very question we faced when my co-founder, Ami, and I created Peekapak, a children’s education company. We knew we wanted to help make the world a better place (cheesy, but true!), and that we needed to start and do something … immediately! And that something was, and is, to help children become the best possible versions of themselves. Hence, we pooled our life savings to create a company and a curriculum that makes character education and SEL so fun, easy and seamless for teachers and parents, and especially children, that kids learn without realizing it and constantly ask for more.
How have we accomplished this?
- Through engaging storytelling. We’ve created a world with original characters that are fresh, relevant and exciting. Each of our stories focuses on a different topic (empathy, gratitude, and self-regulation, amongst others) and uses vivid illustrations, humor, and lovable characters to teach.
- Through fun classroom lessons. The learning from the stories are extended and enhanced through hands-on, playful activities led by teachers.
- Through parent involvement. Children learn best when their parents are involved. We’ve created the curriculum and technology to enable teachers and parents to work as partners in a child’s learning by extending classroom learning into the home.
We have made it our mission to ensure that all teachers, parents and students are able to access stories and lessons that teach these important SEL topics, regardless of resources … which means that anyone can sign up for a free account on www.peekapak.com to view stories and lessons about empathy, gratitude, teamwork and other topics.
And please let us know how we’re doing and how you and your students are using Peekapak. As a small company, your feedback is invaluable to us. Drop us a line any time at: email@example.com.
Thanks for helping us guide children today to become compassionate and empathetic citizens of the world tomorrow!
Latest posts by Ami Shah (see all)
- EdTechTO: Are EdTech Tools Providing Real Value to Students? - August 14, 2018
- Fund Your SEL Initiatives: 3 Places to Start - August 9, 2018
- District Leaders’ Reception at ISTE 18 - July 4, 2018