Coronavirus Lesson Plans:
6: Hibernation Station
6A: Letter from Cody
Hi friends! It’s Cody here.
I’ve been spending a lot of time in my room. I like listening to music while I draw. It keeps me calm. Brady’s music playlist has some new Katy Beary songs I like. It reminded me that Katy Beary must be hibernating right now.
Bears hibernate by staying in their homes for a long time. When it gets warmer outside, they come back outside – well rested and ready to go.
That got me thinking, we’re hibernating right now too! While I’m hibernating, I should learn a super cool new talent. When the Peekaflu goes away and we go back to school, I can show off my new secret talent in a big reveal… Ta-da! Maybe I will ask my friends to join me. We’ll have a talent show to perform our new talents!
What secret talent should I learn? What secret talent will you learn?
Your (secretly) talented friend,
6B: My Secret Talent
- Parents/guardians, read the letter from Cody with your child.
- Ask the following questions after reading:
- Why is hibernation similar to the stay-at-home order?
- Why does Cody want to have a talent show? Why is it a secret talent show?
- What should Cody learn?
- Help your child write a letter (or drawing/video) responding to Cody.
- Have your child send a photo of their letter back to their teacher and/or take a photo/video and post it on Twitter (tag @Peekapak). Cody may see it and respond!
- Cody remembers that when he learned to play the drums, he had to show perseverance and make a plan to reach his goal. He uses the same template to learn his new secret talent. What is his secret talent? You’ll have to wait and see!
- Use the activity sheet attached (My Goal Contract -lesson 11 (Perseverance Unit Grade 3) to write down the goal for your new secret talent.
- After you complete your goal sheet, give it a try! Invite your family and friends to learn a new talent too. When you come out of hibernation like Katy Beary, you can have a secret talent show just like Cody!
Download and review lesson materials
- To access the Coronavirus Lesson 6 Letter from Cody please download from this folder:
Continue with the Peekaflu Unit:
- Lesson 1: The Peekaflu (above)
- 1A Letter from Cody
- 1B: Questions + Response
- Lesson 2: Berryball Blues
- 2A: Letter from Cody
- 2B: Questions + Response
- Lesson 3: We over Me
- 3A: We Over Me Dialogue
- 3B: Questions3C: Scenario Cards Activity
- Lesson 4: A Special Space
- 4A: Letter from Cody
- 4B: Questions
- 4C: My Special Space Activity
- Lesson 5: From Stuck to Safe (Gratitude)
- 5A: Letter from Cody
- 5B: Questions + Letter of Gratitude
- 5C: Dr. Nurse Fights the Evil Peekaflu Comic Activity
- Lesson 6: Hibernation Station
- 6A: Letter from Cody
- 6B: My Secret Talent
- Lesson 7: Our Elders
- 7A: Letter from Cody
- 7B: Questions + Letter to Elder
- 7C: What is Wise Dialogue
- 7D: Elder School Activity
- Lesson 8: What Do We Need (Coming Soon)
- 8A Letter from Inés
- 8B What Do You Need Match-Up
- 8C What Do I Need: Self-care Activity
More Peekapak lessons to support remote student learning:
Districts, schools, educators and families impacted by health-related closures can access Peekapak’s entire platform for free. To sign up, visit this link: https://www.peekapak.com/schoolclosures
This will allow schools to provide lessons, at-home activities and interactive learning games for all affected families with children between Pre-K to 5th grade. Our resources promote literacy skills while helping families remain calm and practice social-emotional learning skills like self-regulation, empathy, and perseverance.
If you represent a school or district faced with school closures, please complete the below form. You will hear back shortly from our team with the next steps. Please note, if you are a parent, you can still sign up as well.
More Remote Learning Resources:
With the recent turn of events and the resulting school closures, we’ve been so impressed with the number of education technology organizations offering their resources. To help districts, schools, educators, and families, we’ve put together a list of recommended free at-home learning. See our list of recommendations here.
Latest posts by Ami Shah (see all)
- Coronavirus Lesson Plans – Lesson 7: Our Elders - April 22, 2020
- Coronavirus Lesson Plans – Lesson 6: Hibernation Station - April 21, 2020
- Coronavirus Lesson Plans – Lesson 5: From Stuck to Safe - March 31, 2020