8A Letter from Inés
Hi, friends! It’s Inés here. The Peekaflu (Coronavirus) is still pretty bad here in Peekaville. We are stuck in our homes, but I know that means I’m safe. Mr. Bison sends us school work to do but I secretly miss my desk and Mr. Bison’s goofy stories. I mostly miss going to the Ice Cream Parlor and ordering an ice-cream sundae with bananas, duskberries, and french fries! My favorite!
I’ve noticed that everyone seems to have a lot of different feelings. My father seems stressed. My friends seem bored. My grandma seems scared. I want to help everyone but I’m not sure how. Maybe someone needs a phone call! A pep talk? Movie recommendation? A joke?
I’m going to make a list of everyone I know and ask them how they are feeling and what they need. I like feeling helpful! And this is the best way I know how!
What do you need?
Your helpful friend,
- Parents/guardians, read the letter from Inés with your child(ren).
- Ask the following questions:
- How is Inés feeling?
- What does Inés miss doing?
- Why is Inés having trouble helping her friends and family?
- What is Inés’ idea?
- Help your child write a letter, or draw an illustration, or record a video response to Inés.
- Have your child send their letter back to their teacher and/or take a photo/video and post it on Twitter (tag @Peekapak). Inés may see it and respond!
8B What Do You Need Match Up
Inés asked her family and friends how they are feeling. Now can you help Inés match each helpful idea to the right friend? Add in your own family and friends at the bottom and how you will help them.
There is no right answer! Choose what you think fits best 🙂
8C What Do I Need? Self Care Activity
Inés is very good at being helpful. She asked all of her friends how they are feeling and what they need. She made everyone feel very special and loved. It’s important to care for others. It’s also important to care for ourselves! Sometimes we need to stop and ask ourselves, what do I need? This is called self-care.
Answer the questions below to find out what you need. Then try one of the examples of self-care. After, journal about how you felt before, during, and after the activity. You can also write Inés a letter telling her about your self-care! Take a photo/video and post it on Twitter (tag @Peekapak). Inés may see it and respond!
Download and review activity materials
- To access our Coronavirus Lesson plan materials please download from this folder: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1NpRK0HI1EBOY2z4heOjGWwISQUVAfhTb?usp=sharing
Continue with the Peekaflu Unit:
- Lesson 1: The Peekaflu
- 1A Letter from Cody
- 1B: Questions + Response
- Lesson 2: Berryball Blues
- 2A: Letter from Cody
- 2B: Questions + Response
- Lesson 3: We over Me
- 3A: We Over Me Dialogue
- 3B: Questions
- 3C: Scenario Cards Activity
- Lesson 4: A Special Space
- 4A: Letter from Cody
- 4B: Questions
- 4C: My Special Space Activity
- Lesson 5: From Stuck to Safe (Gratitude)
- 5A: Letter from Cody
- 5B: Questions + Letter of Gratitude
- 5C: Dr. Nurse Fights the Evil Peekaflu Comic Activity
- Lesson 6: Hibernation Station
- 6A: Letter from Cody
- 6B: My Secret Talent
- Lesson 7: Our Elders
- 7A: Letter from Cody
- 7B: Questions + Letter to Elder
- 7C: What is Wise Dialogue
- 7D: Elder School Activity
- Lesson 8: What do we need?
- 8A Letter from Inés
- 8B What Do You Need Match-Up
- 8C What Do I Need: Self-care Activity
More Peekapak lessons to support remote student learning:
Districts, schools, educators and families impacted by health-related closures can access Peekapak’s entire platform for free. To sign up, visit this link: https://www.peekapak.com/schoolclosures
This will allow schools to provide lessons, at-home activities and interactive learning games for all affected families with children between Pre-K to 5th grade. Our resources promote literacy skills while helping families remain calm and practice social-emotional learning skills like self-regulation, empathy, and perseverance.
If you represent a school or district faced with school closures, please complete the below form. You will hear back shortly from our team with the next steps. Please note, if you are a parent, you can still sign up as well.
More Remote Learning Resources:
With the recent turn of events and the resulting school closures, we’ve been so impressed with the number of education technology organizations offering their resources. To help districts, schools, educators, and families, we’ve put together a list of recommended free at-home learning. See our list of recommendations here.